What Are The Signs of Sewer Pipe Damage?
You might not pay attention to your sewer line since it runs beneath your home and isn’t likely to cause many problems. However, as homes age, sewer issues are more likely to happen. If you’ve planted trees or there’s been a rough storm, all of these things can damage your sewer pipes and create problems within the home. Luckily, Adams Foundation Repair can help you with sewer lateral repair in the St. Louis, MO area. If you’ve noticed:
- Sewage Backups and Blockages – Some blockage is normal every once in a while, but if there’s a backup every time you run water or flush the toilet, you might have an issue
- Sewer Gas Smell – You should never smell sewer gas unless there’s a crack or opening in the line
- Mold Growing – If this is combined with a sewer odor, it’s most likely that you have a sewer line crack
- Slow Drain – If your drain is slow after attempts to clear it, your sewer line could be affected by tree roots, cracks, and more.
- Extra green or thick grass patches in yard – Sewage leaks provide extra fertilization for your yard, creating greener or thicker appearances
- Indentation in lawn or under pavers – Extra saturation from a sewer line break can cause the soil to move
- Foundation cracks or settlement – This is a symptom of a more extreme sewer pipe break
- Sinkholes – If a leak goes untreated for a long time, a void can open up under your home
- Septic waste pooling
- Rat problem – Rats live in sewers and can fit in sewer cracks or openings that are roughly the size of a quarter
- Insect Infestation – Cockroaches can fit into even smaller sewer cracks than rats, creating a problem in your home
What Causes Sewer Pipe Damage?
Spotting sewer pipe damage is relatively easy, but you’re probably curious what causes it so that you can avoid breaks happening in the future. Some common causes include:
- Aging or inferior sewage pipes – As pipes age, they are worn away by the dirt and water around it
- Misalignments – When dirt and water wear away at the pipes, they can also move the sewer pipes, creating misalignments
- Erosion of pipes by drain chemicals – If you use certain drain cleaners to remove blockages, you can erode the pipes and create more holes or cracks
- Tree roots – As tree roots grow, if they’re planted too close to a sewer line the roots can cause cracks and breaks
- Excess stormwater – Any heavy storm dumps rain on the ground which then wraps around your sewer pipes, shifting the soil and wearing down the pipe exterior
Many of these issues are caused by nature and hard to control. Many cities across America are struggling with finding ways to protect against these problems and are spending millions in repairs for sinkholes and other serious problems caused by sewage breaks.
How Can I Fix My Sewer Line Break?
Residents of St. Louis are lucky for two reasons. Firstly, in St. Louis there is a program called the Sewer Lateral Repair Program which assists homeowners with the cost of repairs under the public right of way section of the line. The goal is to repair any severe damage that causes cave-ins that is anywhere in public property. This is great, but there are many limitations to it and those who live on private property are excluded. Thankfully, Adams Foundation Repair is here to help. We can come to your home to assess the situation and come up with the best solution for your particular issue. There are many ways you can fix a sewer line break depending on the severity. We use several methods, including:
- Exposing and wrapping the failing joint with filter fabric
- Grouting the joints from inside the pipe
- Slip lining a section of the pipe
- Repair or replace the entire pipe or drainage structure
Trust Adams Foundation Repair
We are your number one trusted source for sewer lateral repair in the St. Louis, MO area. With our years of experience in waterproofing, foundation repair, and more, you can be sure we know exactly what we’re doing. We will always inspect your home before we make any repairs and talk with you about all possible solutions. Sewer line breaks can seem scary and can get quite expensive, but at Adams, we only give you honest, straight forward, and cost-effective service so that you can get back to your normal life. Don’t let a sewer line break take over your peace of mind and family’s health. Give us a call today to get started and you’ll even receive a free quote!